Tuesday, June 29, 2010

a few okavango pictures

Elephant Family, Okavango Delta

Hello, faithful readers! I'm back from the Naukluft Trail, which was spectacular, and back ONLINE, which is a mixed blessing. I've just spent one month without regular access, two weeks without going online at all, and 8 days completely out of range of any kind of wireless signal. Spy satellites, I know you're out there, but for we average citizens I was utterly disconnected. Bliss! I know that an entire month of more-or-less no internet access seems impossible in North America, and it's difficult to force yourself into it (I certainly spent enough time raging impotently against the failed internet connection in D'Kar), but I highly recommend it. In fact, I might try to make it a point to spend a month out of each year without the internet... or at least two weeks, if a month seems too harsh.

As you can imagine, I've got a thousand and one things to catch up on around here, so I'm going to pepper you with brief photo entries until I can get myself organized enough to do some proper writeups! I've got less than one month remaining of my time in Botswana - trying not to think too hard about that deadline - and I want to write down as much as I can before I leave. No matter how many times I tell myself I'm going to go home, decompress, process everything that's happened, and really do a good job of writing it - it's never as good as writing on-site.

Enough of that, here are some gorgeous Okavango photos from my talented father and his spiffy new camera!


What a magical place! No caption needed, really - just lovely. The Delta was unusually cloudy for the season, which made for fantastic sunset and sunrise photos.


Herd of Cape Buffalo at twilight. We tracked this herd - numbering several hundred - for the afternoon and were rewarded when they came out of the bushes at last, to drink en masse. More on the buffalo in a later entry.

Giraffe, taken at the same place as the buffalo photos.

All photos this entry were taken by Frank Ruskey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home