Thursday, October 29, 2009

Linga Longa


Hello! I'm in Gaborone, having dinner by myself and working at a bar/restaurant (Linga Longa) in Riverwalk mall... I am also running late to go see the Michael Jackson movie with a couple of my colleagues.

IT ALL SOUNDS SO NORMAL!

Except that I had to run around to at least 3 places trying to find someone whose advertised internet was actually working, who also had a 3-pronged round-hole plug so that I could plug in my computer.

And of the two people I'm going to see the movie with, one has been to only one movie before, when he was a child, and the other has NEVER BEEN TO THE MOVIES BEFORE. I hope "This is It" is a good initiation to the joys of cinema. She wanted to see "Inglourious Basterds," but I felt that it would be a bit too much for her first movie in the theatre, ever. Particularly considering she barely speaks any English. Although a Tarantino film would be a kind of ironic first film to watch, being as he's so obsessively cinema-referential...

And the reason that I'm working from a restaurant right now is that I couldn't send a bunch of critical work emails last night, from D'Kar, because the power went out (I waited for an hour in the dark office with my laptop running on its batteries, hoping it would come back on), then came back on in the morning (at 4:30 a.m., when I woke up and went back to the office to finish my work before leaving for Gabs) but the internet STILL wasn't working, even though the power was back... Capricious bits and bytes, how I love/hate you.

So I'm here. And I'm waiting for a 2MB email to send (quotations for financial consultants which I am forwarding to the ADF so that they can evaluate my second disbursement request), which is taking about half an hour. ARGH. I'm missing Michael Jackson! I'm missing K's first reactions to a giant movie screen!!

Ooh, it sent. Gotta go!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That picture is the most adorable thing in the world. And, are you sure you're in Africa and not still hiding out in NYC?

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home