Tuesday, February 02, 2010

a few photos

Baobab flowers, Namibia

The actual Lion-Killer Stone, Huiku Trust land, Botswana

Another view of the Lion-Killer Stone. Doesn't it look like a nose?

Nothing much to report. It's been hot. Two weeks ago we had pounding, pouring, incessant rain for over a week- the sides of the main road filled with water and then the road itself was half-submerged. Ghanzi looked like the Okavango. Houses flooded. The gravel road to Grootlaagte was filled with treacherous ponds over two feet deep, threatening to drown my vehicle. Jojos (water tanks) overflowed. The lot outside of the Komku office was covered in water. My drainpipes gushed water and the garden exploded. The nights were cool enough that I wore light pajama pants and cuddled under my blanket. Then, abruptly, the rain stopped... and now it is hot as hell again. I sleep in a tank top on top of the sheets and wake up with my neck uncomfortably clammy with sweat. My cats sprawl flat on the floor in an effort to make as much of their bodies as possible touch the cool linoleum. When C and I go running, it's twice as painful. But in theory the rainy season should last at least another month, possibly two... So I'm hoping for the rains to return.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how involved with technology our daily lives have become. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes cheaper, the possibility of downloading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://knol.google.com/k/anonymous/-/9v7ff0hnkzef/1]R4i[/url] DS TF3)

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home