Thursday, November 06, 2008

Obama in Botswana

I found out yesterday morning. I'd just gotten back to my house from my morning run, and K had just gotten back from his morning walk. As I turned the key and was about to step into my house, he said it: "Obama won." It took me a moment to process - wait - really? - can it be?! And then I was incoherently happy, shouting and saying the same things over and over again.

The office was abuzz with it - everyone had been calling and texting each other since seven in the morning when it was made official, the Botswanan television stations were covering it nonstop (sadly, I do not have a television - and let me tell you, it's not often that I bemoan my lack of television!), and the radio was broadcasting the speeches.

Botswana is excited. Africa is excited. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the world is excited, and when Obama said in his speech, "And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world - our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand," I felt proud to be a part of this moment in history, even though I'm not in America to witness it. I've never wanted to be on American soil so badly as I do right now - I've never loved the American people so much as I do right now. I'd forgotten the reasons I love the US. I'd forgotten that I do, actually, believe in the American Dream, the American spirit and all the rest - it's been buried for the last 8 years, but here it is again, bursting forth in this courageous, hopeful, defiant election. I'm excited for the coming years.

Last night, C, A, R and I had an impromptu election party - we sat in C's kitchen, made macaroni and cheese (very American!), and read Obama and McCain's speeches out loud to each other. R had downloaded them to her laptop earlier in the day, and we gleefully acted out the crowd's reactions (USA! USA!) as one of us read the speech. We drank wine and talked about our elation and our pride, our hopes and dreams for America, the stories of friends and family members who had been involved in the election back at home.

I told them how I'd sat in the dorm room of a friend in 2004, back at Princeton, watching with horror as the votes were tallied and Bush took office for a second term - and a very close friend of mine from Illinois looked past that and cheered for the election of Senator Barack Obama. "We're hoping he might be the next president," she said. "We're very proud of him in Illinois. I think he really has a chance." I remember looking at the young, smiling face of 2004's Senator Obama and thinking that the next election was an eon, a world, an endless stretch of potentially disastrous time away - and this man was young, and black - but there was something in my friend's voice when she talked about him that made me remember what she'd said. It seemed like such a pipe dream at that time, on that depressing night. But here we are, in such a different November.

I'm proud to be an American right now. And I hope that we are truly entering a new stage in American history, and that the hard work that brought us to this milestone election can bring us past it into a brighter future. Yes, I realize I'm getting a bit melodramatic - and my eyes are even tearing up as I write this - but there's never been a better time to get excited, to overflow with hope, to let idealism run free. Even more than I'm happy about Obama, I'm happy that America voted for him. The spirit of the country rose up to shout that they still believe in hope, equality, democracy, liberty, the possibilty of a future that is better for everyone, and not just a few. To shout that their voices are important, and they will be heard. No matter who we have in office, the fact that the people have made that statement is the most wonderful thing I can imagine.

Okay, done. I promise that's my last overflow of political idealism. And I know I haven't been eloquent. But... I'm just so excited!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cordelia said...

Thanks for the story. I was in Times Square when they called the election. Me and 1000's of my friends celebrated together many from around the world. I've been wondering what Africa is like though. I went up to Harlem later in the night and it was hopping. Certainly blacks are feeling this victory with real passion.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Nikita said...

Jen, I am actually very curious. Besides the fact that Obama is a very charismatic politician, is there a specific set of policies or reasons that you support him?

9:15 PM  
Blogger Nikita said...

Oh, just so that you don't feel you are writing only to me, you can post it on my recent project (even if it's past the election ;) ) - www.whywevote.org

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn, You are a natural born writer. Reading your description of first impression of flatness, drought, etc. struck a deep bell with me. I also arrived in Maun on Independence day weekend, twenty years ago exactly, and had a miserable time. I'll tell you about it if I see you over there. I'll be writing shortly. Keep the blog rolling...it's really informative,and spot-on, with the Botswana I've known.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn - Oh, how I loved your truly eloquent and moving post on the Obama election - it is so moving to read your and your friends' reaction of joy. We had the same experience here in Olympia, counting down the last few seconds as the election was called for Obama and dancing in the streets with friends and strangers into the wee hours. We too are so proud of our country and so hopeful that we now can leave your generation a better world. Your parents are visiting us this weekend - it's great to see them and to get caught up on your doings - amazing stuff really. You are a wonderful writer, so keep it up!!! Lots of love, Naki

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home