Sunday, February 12, 2006

Photos

At last, photographs!
Sorry they're small; the fault of blogger. At least they don't take as long to load. I'll try to figure out a better way of doing it; or I'll upload them into a separate directory somewhere so that you can view the larger versions if you wish.

Leave me comments, let me know you're alive!




Marketplace seen outside of Nairobi, from the van.


Sunset over Mpala ranch


Acacia drepanelobium (this is the one that is mutualistic with the acacia ants. If you poke them, then tons of acacia ants come swarming out of the swollen thorns.


Elephant, seen from the land rover.


A fish eagle, sitting in a fever tree by the hippo pond. Didn't include hippo photos as they were not very good - hopefully will get a good one later on. P.s., there are some wonderful photographers on this trip, with beautiful fancy cameras, so hopefully I'll be able to direct you do some of their photographs as well.


Old bandas (huts) - I don't know how long they've been abandoned. I took this photograph from inside one of them. Things take forever to decompose here because it's so dry - that's one of the reasons that termites are important, because by eating the cellulose they break it down much faster than it would be otherwise; they keep the nutrients cycling through the ecosystem more quickly.


Sunset over the campsite.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
Keep it up. We are all reading the blogs. It was great to have the pictures!

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn!
Wow, it seems like I'm reading a book...everything sounds so amazing. I'm glad your health is better (I assume it is since you didn't mention it getting worse). Can't wait for more pictures! simran

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home